Thursday, May 29, 2008

Beautiful Maurice


So pretentious... elitist... maybe even posh (am I allowed to say that as an American? confused)... Regardless, those were a few of the adjectives that came to mind when I first started watching this obscure 1980s film. My first inclinations were somewhat justifiable too, considering the movie started off portraying the British 'upper-class' attending early 20th century Cambridge.
...Suffice to say, as the movie went on, I quickly changed my tune. These clips originate from a film titled Maurice. The movie centers around the movie's namesake Maurice (played by James Wilby), as he struggles to come to grips with experiencing one of the ultimate taboos in early 20th century Britain, his love for other men... specifically his love for his Cambridge schoolmate and best friend, Clive Durham (played by a young Hugh Grant).
Probably one of the most beautiful love stories I've ever stumbled across, I'm surprised this movie came out in the 80s. I couldn't help thinking while watching this, 'this movie came out 20 years too early'... thankfully so, considering the performances by James, Hugh, and later in the movie Rupert Graves probably couldn't have taken place today. A trio of some of the most gorgeous British actors in their prime taking on a role like this is a once in a lifetime is incredibly rare... I enjoyed every minute of it.
I highly recommend this movie... you can check it on Netflix or purchase it on Amazon. There's also a version on GTorrents.

0 comments:

Post a Comment