Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Samsung says the Future is Solid

Is Samsung on the cusp of a future wave in storage? Well I can't say for sure, but apparently the emanating dread i'm feeling from my standard hard drive gives me the impression they might just be onto something cool.
Now I have to say I'd never paid much attention to Solid State Drives before Monday. So I was wondering, what exactly is the difference between a Solid State (SSD) Drive and a standard Hard Disk (HDD) Drive. What are the benefits to having an SSD drive over an HDD drive... and just how much more powerful can they get compared to say, standard a Raid array... Suffice to say the tech guy's at Samsung have really amazed me.
So basically a drive with no moveable parts (i.e. quieter), faster memory access, far better reliability than standard Hard Disk Drives, and less power usage? I'm sold... but what's the catch?... Well the 'sold' part it seems
confused. The cost and size of these drives still leaves something to be desired. But like most hardware, that should eventually come into alignment as the technology progresses heading into 2010 (and beyond).

0 comments:

Post a Comment